FERGUSON TRACTORS

When you have a very technical issue, let's try to ask John who is a real expert since he has spent more than 20 years of his life working on TE 20s !

In english here please

Modérateur: VINCENT

FERGUSON TRACTORS

Message par Peter Classey » 25 Août 2008, 10:56

Hi John

My name is Peter. I am living and working in France. My home is in 36230.
I have just sold my SAME 35 Italia which I had for few years. It wasn't working new wheel bearings, electrics, solenoid repair the PTO.
Whilst I had the trailer I aquired a FF 30 GS S/n 44214 Standard-Hotchkiss Petrol/vapour. Solex 26VBN carburetter. It's in very good condition. Someone at some point has cared about her. Her colour has changed from grey and red to just grey. She has not run for about a year and a half. The owner changed the distributor cap and leads removed the shaft to reset the points but did not replace. New condensor and maybe he changed the coil but can't remember. My problem is that it does not seem to be lifting fuel into the engine. I have removed the carb' and cleaned the jets, but nothing. Also I made sure the timing was correct. Originally I had a small spark but now the spark is even smaller. Which questions how new the coil is. So that's it. I put fuel into each chamber but still nothing. Should my spark be quite bright with these old engines? and should I replace the carb'?

Help

Pete
Peter Classey

Message(s) : 3

Message par john » 18 Sep 2008, 14:35

Hello Peter, My Apologies for not replying sooner to your question but I have had pneumonia and I have not been on-line for some time.
Make sure that the points gap is set to .015" (.41mm) the plugs should be set to .030" (.76mm) (Champion L10 or equivalent) Make sure that the ignition coil is wired correctly, the low tension wire to the distributor is attached to the terminal marked - or CB and is not necessarily the terminal closest to the distributor on the coil. The wire from the switch to turn the ignition on is attached to the terminal marked SW or + or PWR.
Make sure that the bolt that runs through the sidewall of the distributor and to which the wire attaches is properly insulated or it will short out to the distributor body. Check that the coil is a 12v coil and not a 6v. Check that if it is a 12v coil that they haven't fitted a ballast resistor in the feed to the coil, this will drop the voltage if it has. Very often spark problems are due to the condenser being bad, just change the condenser as you can't test them and they do fail, we have even had new ones that are faulty.
Regarding fuel not being drawn into the engine, in the breather pipe from the valve cover to the inlet manifold there is at the manifold end a restrictor washer with a pin through the centre to keep the hole clear, if someone has had the breather pipe off the manifold, it is possible that they have lost this washer and it will draw too much air into the manifold from the engine instead of through the Carburettor.
I hope this will give you some ideas as to what maybe wrong with your engine, email me again if you need more information. My apologies again for the delay.....John
john
THE Ferguson Expert ;-)

Message(s) : 120

Message par Peter Classey » 18 Sep 2008, 15:58

Dear John

Sorry to hear about your illness, I hope you are on the road to recovery.
Well I think that is enough for me to be going on with for now. I will let you know how things are going, when she fires-up.

One small question how do I register my Tractor on this Forum and find out when she was made etc..

Thanks again

Pete
Peter Classey

Message par webmaster » 18 Sep 2008, 18:02

For this last question I can help :

http://www.hoffet.net/ferguson/

If any concern with this page, contact Den (the author) or Vincent (or my self !)
webmaster
Site Admin

Message(s) : 1358139
Localisation : PARTOUT ;-) Tracteur : ex : TEF20 1957 new : MF 235 1978 & MCormick 326D 1965

Message par Peter Classey » 18 Sep 2008, 19:40

Merci.

Pierre
Peter Classey

Retour vers Contact THE expert