Are there 2 types of valves for a TEA20 ?

When you have a very technical issue, let's try to ask John who is a real expert since he has spent more than 20 years of his life working on TE 20s !

In english here please

Modérateur: VINCENT

Are there 2 types of valves for a TEA20 ?

Message par alexandre » 25 Juil 2011, 19:31

Hello John,
I have been told by the Webmaster (and others ..) that YOU are THE expert for any difficult question about TE....
Well, I do not know if the following is a difficult case....
I am restauring a TEA20 1952 (engine S36067E - chassis 255559 ) engine 80 mm.
I have bought 4 times some parts from UK at the www.Agrilineeproducts which I do recommend ! Cheap-fast and serious !)
I have restaured the cylinder head (new guides, rectified valves seat etc...) Bad surprise : both inlet and exhaust valves that I have received from Agrilineproducts are smaller in diameter than the ones on my engine (if they are original parts...)
The valves have same queue ( rod ?) in diameter and in length but the seat diameter is quite different. The new ones are measured at 1,050 " while the old ones on my engine are 1,250 ". AgrilineProducts has confirmed me that there is only one possible type of valve for the TEA20 and if mine are bigger then it means my cylinder head has been modified ! ! ! In this case they unfortunately cannot help me .....
Do you know if there are different types of valves ? Do you know if this was possible to modify the valve seat in the cylinder head by increasing the dia from about 1,050 to 1,250 ??? ( I doubt but I am not an expert ). Would you have an idea what could be the engine that use those bigger valves ( another engine Ferguson ) ?
Thank you in advance for you help....
Alexandre (Belgium)
alexandre

Message(s) : 24

Message par john » 26 Juil 2011, 21:20

Alexandre, I hope that I can live up to your expectations ha ha!
This is a little odd because the engine number does not tie up with the tractor, it would seem that it has been changed for an earlier one. I am presuming that this is a UK built tractor. It should have an 85mm engine.
The correct valves for the 80mm engine are both 1-1/8" diameter, there was never a 1.250" on any model. What must have happened is someone has had new valve seats fitted.
It could have been done on purpose to try to increase the horsepower or the original seats and the Head were damaged and fitting larger ones were the best answer at that time.
What you can do is have new seats fitted, most engine re-conditioners can do this easily.
All the valves are the same length, just the diameter of the heads are different. On a TEA there are 2 sizes of valves (not yours) there is a later one 85mm that is different.
Just to check your Head, the combustion chamber should be approximately .75" deep and there should be a "X" cast into the top of the Head.
I hope that all helps, but if you still have problems, email again...John

Alexandre, j'espère que je pourrai vivre jusqu'à vos espérances ha ha ! C'est peu un impair parce que le numéro de moteur n'attache pas vers le haut avec le tracteur, il semblerait qu'il a été changé pour plus tôt. Je présume que c'est un tracteur construit BRITANNIQUE. Il devrait avoir un moteur de 85mm. Les valves correctes pour le moteur de 80mm sont les deux 1-1/8" ; le diamètre, il n'y avait jamais un 1.250" ; sur tout modèle. Ce qui doit s'être produit est quelqu'un a fait adapter de nouveaux sièges de valve. Il pourrait avoir été fait sur le but d'essayer d'augmenter les puissances en chevaux ou les sièges originaux et la tête ont été endommagés et plus grand l'ajustement était la meilleure réponse à ce moment-là. Ce que vous pouvez faire est de faire adapter de nouveaux sièges, la plupart des re-conditionneurs de moteur peut faire ceci facilement. Toutes les valves sont la même longueur, juste le diamètre des têtes sont différentes. Sur un TEA il y a 2 tailles des valves (pas vôtre) là est des un 85mm postérieurs qui est différent. Vérifier juste votre tête, la chambre de combustion devrait être approximativement .75" ; profondément et il devrait y a un " ; X" ; moulez dans le dessus de la tête. J'espère que tout aide, mais si vous avez toujours des problèmes, email encore… John
john
THE Ferguson Expert ;-)

Message(s) : 120

TEA Valve head diameters

Message par john » 27 Juil 2011, 15:46

Alexandre
I have just been reading your email again and I have been checking what I said to you. There are no actual sizes listed from Ferguson in the parts list so you can't identify them that way which would be easier. But in the Service Manual it says that the sizes given are the Valve Throat and that is what I gave you. But the diameter of the Valve Head is larger than the throat and I would estimate it to be about 1.25" dia. I have no way of checking this unfortunately. I have been checking this all morning trying to sort the matter out, but information is poor. The only valve listed for that engine is shown as having a 1-1/8" throat diameter. When I check a later engine that uses the 1-1/8" throat, the service manual shows the diameter of the Valve Head to be 1.25" dia/ 31.800mm. which is what you had originally. So according to what information I can find, the old valves you have are correct and the ones from Agriline are not.
To try and clear this up and working from the parts lists and the Service Manual. the valve that Agriline sent to you is 1.05 OD, this fits a 15/16" throat as used on the TED engine types 2/3 & 4 exhaust.
The throat on your engine is shown to be 1-1/8" (can you confirm this) so the Valve Head OD should be 1.25" dia. With this new information I think that your engine has NOT had the valve seats altered and that it is Agriline that has the parts in the wrong bin as that valve they sent you does not fit an 80mm engine. Are both the valves on your engine the same size, the steel maybe different though but they should be same size.
If you have any comments to make about this, can you email me direct as it will be easier for me to send you any drawings etc. Sorry about the confusion over the sizes but it is not listed as it would be today, I have re-written all the information today so it should not happen again ...John.. fergusontractors@hotmail.com
john
THE Ferguson Expert ;-)

Valve sizes on TEA

Message par john » 14 Août 2011, 19:30

Alexandre (Belgium)
Did you find the correct valves for your engine yet?....John
john
THE Ferguson Expert ;-)

Message par alexandre » 18 Août 2011, 20:53

Hello John,
First I have to apologize for the late answer but ..... I do prefer mechanic than computers.....
I appreciate very much all the search and time you spent to find explanations for me.
However as I did not what to do I went back to the garage that reworked my cylinder head and the mechanic told me that my original valves (head dia = 1,250" ) were still in a good state. He just rectified the valves (throat) ( Sorry I am not sure the word rectified is correct in english). Today my engine is mounted and I hope to start it within the next 2 weeks.
I will send to fergusontractors@hotmail.com the pictures of my cylinder head. Maybe you can see some interesting things.
Thank you again for the time spent
Alexandre
alexandre

Message(s) : 24

Retour vers Contact THE expert