Engine problem on 1953 TEF 20

When you have a very technical issue, let's try to ask John who is a real expert since he has spent more than 20 years of his life working on TE 20s !

In english here please

Modérateur: VINCENT

Engine problem on 1953 TEF 20

Message par luxfergie » 14 Sep 2013, 12:32

Hello John,

I have a question to ask about my 1953 TEF. When I was on certain meetings here in Luxembourg I noticed that my engine speeds up relatively slowly when I'm driving, for example when I change from 3rd to 4th gear and then open the throttle lever. The other TEF's I've seen yet responde faster and seem more powerfull. The engine has been completely rebuilt, and she starts well, without preheating and using the cold-start knob on the pump. The governor also does his job as it should be. The only thing is that there is a light knocking noise that can be heard when the engine is idling. After the rebuilt the engine blocked on cylinder 2 after going up a hill. At that moment the temperature on the gauge was about 60 degrees.
I changed the blocked piston with its liner and from that point on she knocks.
But we don't really know why she blocked, I suppose either that the timing chain "bounced" one dent when fitting the timing cover or it was caused by the rings in top of the liner. There were scratches in both liner-rings and piston. The top-rings were genuine MF but the bottom-rings were reproductions from a parts-supplier in germany.

Do you have an idea what could cause the knocking?
Could it be possible that one of the other pistons is damaged? In the other three liners you can't see any marks or scratches.
Someone told me that piston can be fitted the wrong way round, but I didn't found anything about that in the workshop-manual and there were no marks on the top of the piston.

I hope you can help me.
Best wishes
Tim
luxfergie
Mecanique de precision

Message(s) : 101

Retour vers Contact THE expert