New rings on old pistons

When you have a very technical issue, let's try to ask John who is a real expert since he has spent more than 20 years of his life working on TE 20s !

In english here please

Modérateur: VINCENT

New rings on old pistons

Message par jean-christophe » 14 Jan 2005, 09:30

John

When you buy the Sparex rings kit for the TEF, you get 6 new rings. But old pistons have only 5. How do you mount them ?

For people who don't know, see on the photo bellow the difference between pistons (6 rings on the right and 5 on the left)

jean-christophe
gentleman Farmer

Message(s) : 152

Message par Invité » 14 Jan 2005, 13:49

Dear John, :)

Some more informations about the new piston ring kit I baught from Sparex :

I have compared the dimensions of the rings : rings nr 1, 2 and 3 are 2 mm thickness. Ring nr 4 is composed of a "back spring" plus 3 rings and a "washer". Then rings number 5 and 6 are 3.96 mm thickness.

In my motor, the actual ones are same dimensions except the fact that there is only one oil ring nr 5 or 6 (thickness 3.96 mm). Otherwise they seem to be similar.

Yann :shock:
Invité

Message par john » 28 Jan 2005, 00:37

Ignore the 6th Piston Ring. If you only have 5 ring grooves in your piston just use 5 rings but make sure that the bottom ring is the oil control ring and also make sure that you have the spacer ring at the back of the oil control ring too.
john
THE Ferguson Expert ;-)

Message(s) : 120

Message par yann » 28 Jan 2005, 12:51

Dear John,

Thanks for your answer. Its exactly what we have done when we have reassembled them.
But I have a question concerning the new rings in old pistons / sleeves : When everything has been reassembled, we have noticed that rotating the engine manually was becomming more and more difficult while increasing the number of pistons linked to the crankshaft. Especially after connecting the fourth one. Everithing has of course been mounted with oil and after some rotations it is comming more "friendly" but remains a little bit hard : Is it something normal :?:

(note : the loose on the rings - which we call the "cut" in french - was aroung 3 mm instead of the 0.7 maximum before we changed them. now the loose has decreased to something around 0.7 if I remember well).

Thanks for your input and best regards,

Yann :P
yann
Ferguson-Plage

Message(s) : 307

Retour vers Contact THE expert